Happy Tuesday! This weekend literally flew by and it blows my mind that the month of July is already coming to an end and we will soon be in the month of August. During the cold, winter days, I often find myself daydreaming about the soon-to-come long, lazy summer days. I always have a whole list of things I wanted to include into my schedule that only the summer months ‘allow,’ including camping trips, hosting more patio dinner parties, more barbecues, bonfires at the beach, etc. The thing is that when summer does finally arrive, in just one blink, it’s almost gone and most of the things on my “to-do” list don’t end up being crossed off the list. I’m hoping that in the next few weeks, my weekends will permit more “me” time, but for those of you living in large urban cities like myself, may understand that its very hard to slow down!
I’ve experimented with a few quinoa breakfast porridges now, I just can’t get enough! For dinner last night, I made a new version of my quinoa breakfast porridge (yes, I am a fan of breakfast foods for dinner) and is definitely a winner, the best one yet! If you haven’t noticed, I have been slowing down on my breakfast posts and that is because being a student, my schedule is subject to change every so often. In between my online classes and working in Santa Monica (the commute takes well over a hour every morning and evening), it seems as if I am constantly on the go. The next couple weeks, I will be featuring more on-the-go meals for all of you busy-bees out there.
- 1/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 banana (mashed)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses (if you don’t have this, you can omit it)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tbs milled flaxseed
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (to top)
- Honey (to top)
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for ~15 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Stir in the mashed banana and whisk until the banana is dissolved into the porridge.
- Reduce heat. Add in cinnamon, blackstrap molasses, and vanilla.
- Add almond milk and flax, and stir until creamy.
- Add in the egg whites and stir until a fluffy consistency is reached.
- Remove from heat, top with peanut butter and honey.
As for breakfast this morning…fruits + carbs fuel me after my intense morning workout!