Memorial day is just around the corner which means it’s almost time to show those legs and shoulders or (if its hot enough), strip down into a bikini! Whether you’re barbecuing in your backyard, heading out for a picnic at the park, attending a gathering at the beach with hot dogs and coolers, we are all subject to unhealthy snacks and one too many high-calorie beers. Memorial day is the unofficial start of summer so lets kick-off the summer feeling good and without regrets along come Monday evening.
The next couple of recipes I will be featuring this week will be perfect whether hosting or attending a party…and they’ll be so delicious, you won’t even have to tell them that they’re vegan/vegetarian!
Tofu Banana Bars
Adapted from Fat Free Vegan
- 1/4 cup silken tofu (regular tofu would work too)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 2 large ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sweetened flake coconut
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Blend the tofu in a blender until smooth. Remove the mashed tofu into a bowl
- Add the sugar and whisk until well mixed. Add the vanilla, rum, mashed bananas, and stir until everything is well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt ). Add the coconut.
- Pour the tofu/banana mix into the dry ingredients. Mix well but don’t over mix or else the bars will bake to become tough.
- Pour into well-greased baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes (until toothpicks come out clean)
- Meanwhile make the powdered sugar/cinnamon topping. Set aside.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle (generously) the mixture of powdered sugar and cinnamon over the bars