Because I’m such a smoothie junkie, here are some items that I often use in my smoothies….
- Frozen fruit: If you take a look at my freezer, it is STOCKED with frozen fruit. Frozen fruit is one of those items that you can stock up on when its on sale (Costco has great deals on the organic frozen fruits) and never worry about them going bad! Although at times I do use fresh fruit for my smoothies, fresh fruit just doesn’t give you the same consistency and “smoothie” texture like frozen fruit does. To freeze your bananas (which i generally use as the base of majority of my smoothies), peel them, chop them into 1-inch pieces and freeze them in a plastic container overnight.
- Non-fat Greek yogurt: With almost twice the amount of protein and 1/2 the amount of carbohydrates as regular yogurt, greek yogurt will give your smoothies a tangy kick! If you don’t necessarily prefer the slightly sour and tanginess of greek yogurt, don’t worry, the sweetness of the fruits will balance it out.
- Nut butter: A healthy source of fat + protein, I always have at least 2 jars of different nut butter in my fridge (in my fridge right now: raw, unsalted almond butter & TJs sunflower butter).
- Avocado: With endless health benefits (i.e. lowers cholesterol, prevents stroke, promotes a healthy heart), I love using avocados in just about anything. If you are looking to add some extra nutrition to your smoothie, adding a 1/4 ripe avocado in it will make your smoothy extra silky and give it a dose of healthy fats.
- Spinach: If you want to sneak those extra veggies into your kid’s smoothie, try throwing in ~2 cups of spinach and I promise you, they won’t even taste it! Click here to get step-by-step instruction to make your own, personal green monster!
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds can be used in almost any type of dish if you are looking to add some dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids into your diet. Add 1 tbsp into your smoothie and it’ll work as a thickener as well!
- 1 1/2 frozen organic strawberries
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 avocado (you can omit this if you’d like)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- Throw everything into a blender and blend, blend, blend!
- Top, top, top!
**The popcorn was from last nights snack. I thought it’d be a good idea to use as a topping for my breakfast smoothie…The results….not as good as I had hoped.