The Fourth of July is tomorrow, meaning that theres a good chance you will be attending/hosting a fun, summer BBQ. For all you vegetarians out there, BBQs can be somewhat of a challenge when trying to find a veggie burger that you enjoy. Even for all of you non-vegetarians, if you watching your saturated fat and cholesterol intake, veggie burgers are a great option. With vegetarianism and veganism increasing, new and different brands and flavors are popping up everywhere and this can be overwhelming at times. Veggie burgers don’t have to be boring, bland, or “sketchy” (the word that some of my friends use to describe veggie burgers) and these delicious veggie patties will it! Here are my top 5 favorite veggie burger, so good that even your non-vegetarian friends will love them!
- Boca Burgers Roasted Onion Flavor: Mushrooms and onions are possible the best combination when it comes to burgers. Hearty, flavorful, and healthy, these veggie patties are my favorite!
- Amy’s Organic Texas Burger: With a hint of barbecue flavor, this veggie burger is packed with a delicious blend of garden vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and distinctive spices. I cooked this patty over the stove using some some coconut oil (in place of olive oil). I served it with a thick slice of Ezekiel sesame bread and it made from one healthy, heart dinner.
- Gardenburger Veggie Medley: Made from purely vegetables and no meat substitute, this veggie burger didn’t have the consistency and bite that a traditional burger has. Packed with wild mushrooms, onions, brown rice, rolled oats, and a blend of different cheeses, this burger is delicious when frilled, warmed in oven, or even popped in the toaster! DELICIOUS!
- Boca Original Vegan Burger: With a heavy, chewy texture, Boca Burgers come closest when imitating the consistency of a real burgers. I found that the texture of this burger was phenomenal, but it was lacking in taste. I spruced it up with some garlic pepper and cayenne pepper to give it more of a kick. This burger is pretty mild in taste so it would be best when served with condiments such as guacamole, salsa, or mustard.
- Dr. Praeger’s California Veggie Burgers: With having a whopping 15 grams of protein per serving, Dr. Praeger’s burgers are known for having “all identifiable ingredients.” Although my sister didn’t prefer this burger (she described it to have a off-flavor and an overpowering presence of peas), I found it to be different and quite tasty!