While I was on my holiday, I made sure I had some healthy snacks on me at all times. Before leaving NY, I stopped Draeger’s Market to stock up on some healthy snacks. I found these three bars which I have never seen, nor heard of, so of course I had to try them out!
Bobo’s Oat Bars: They’re soft, moist, chewy and super yummy. The texture reminded me of a soft, chewy homemade oatmeal cookie. AMAZING!
NuGo Dark: The inside was packed with crispy soy protein, rice nuggets, and dark chocolate chips. With the perfect medium between crispy and chewy, this bar was definitely a winner! It lacked the artificial flavor and unpleasant aftertaste that many protein bars on the shelves today offer.
Bumble Bar: Packed with sesame seeds, flax seeds, cashew chunks, and almond slivers, Bumble Bar is sure to give you extra energy. I found this bar to be okay…the texture was a bit too taffy-like for me.
As I had mentioned earlier this week, after 2 weeks of wining and dining on my holiday, I feel that my body needs a time of detoxification. I have never been a supporter, nor fan of those fad “detox diets” (i.e. lemonade diet) because I feel that there is alternatives to detoxifying with a healthier approach. Here are two simple tips to kick start your detox!
- Morning lemon drink: A glass of warm water with fresh squeezed lemon is a perfect way to start off your morning during periods of detoxification. Lemons have natural cleansing and detoxifying properties which is said to speed up metabolism. Lemon is also said to suppress hunger and eliminate the craving for salty foods.
- Eat your greens: Green, leafy vegetables like kale, spinach, and broccoli ideal for detoxification. Packed with nutrients, minerals, and vitamins, they are restore vitality, making them a super cleansing food. Particularly good for the liver, kale increases digestive abilities.
Peanut Butter Kale Smoothie
- 2 cup kale (rinsed + de-stemmed)
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 cup almond milk (other non-dairy milks will work as well)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 ripe banana
- 6 fresh strawberries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Throw all ingredients into the blender and blend away!