SOOO I finally Booked my ticket to NEW YORK!! The Big Apple. “The city that never sleeps. America’s Mecca. The Empire City. There is a reason why this enchanting city attract millions of visitors from around the world. While planning out my trip, I came across a website that I got a good chuckle out of. On Gawker I found a list of “123 Reasons to Love New York Right Now.”After reading through ALL 123 reasons, I found these three to be the most accurate/comical.
#36. Because “road trip” just means Ikea.
#96. Because it’s perfectly fine to answer your phone mid-sentence.
109. Because everyone drinks at brunch.
For all you New Yorkers, or those of you familiar with the city, please give me your recommendations for what I should go see, what I should do, and course, where I should eat!
Here are some photos from my trip to New York around the same time last year!
At our friends amazing street fair, Hester Street Fair. They had a beautiful collection of vintage jewelry and I found myself a pair of vintage YSL earrings to take home with me. Can’t wait to go back this time around.
For dinner tonight….
Veganized Tamale Pie
Adapted from Peas and Thank You Serves ~6-7
For the filling:
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- One 8 oz. package tempeh (crumbled)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- One 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- One 15 oz. can pinto beans (drained & rinsed)
For the crust:
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (defrosted)
- 1/3 c. organic cheddar cheese (I didn’t have so I substituted with goat cheese)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large, well-greased skilled over medium-high heat, add onions and sauté until softened (~4-5 minutes)
- Crumble tempeh into the pan and cook for ~2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder,salt, vinegar, maple syrup, tomato sauce and beans. Stir while cooking for another ~4-5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a well-greased baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients, EXCEPT CHEESE, needed for the crust (listed above).
- Pour corn crust mixture on top of the filling in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese on the top.
- Bake for ~20 minutes.