We have all been in this predicament. When dinnertime rolls around, we aren’t sure what we are in the mood for and I am not only talking about what type of food, but even down to what flavor would satisfy us. This is a familiar situation I find myself in (my taste buds must be out of whack). Somedays for dinner, all I want is a simple salad. At times, I crave cereal and milk. And on those very bad nights, all I want is a ginormous piece of chocolate cake (most of the times, I can resist this sinful desire). AND SOMETIMES, I crave all three!?
Well tonight was one of those nights and I knew that if I allowed myself, I would start off with a salad, decide I was still hungry and eat a bowl of cereal, and of course, end the meal with a slice of chocolate cake. Thankfully, I was feeling creative in the kitchen and decided to make a dish that combined all three of my cravings, including my sweet tooth!
Taste#5 Peanut Butter (Not pictured because I got too excited and ate it before photographing): PHENOMENAL. Sweet potato and peanut butter. Who knew it would be a match made in heaven?!
Although I must say that they were all DELICIOUS, here are my rankings of my favorite toppings (#1 being my favorite and #5 being my least)
- Peanut Butter
- Goat Cheese
- Corn Salsa
Sweet Potato Apple Fritters
- 1/2 – 3/4 large sweet potato
- 1 large apple
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax meal + 3 tbsp warm water)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pure cane sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cooking spray to grease pan
- In a small bowl, make the flax egg by mixing 1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp warm water. Set aside.
- Grate apple + sweet potato into separate bowls.
- Press grated apple between paper towels to soak up some of the excess water.
- Mix together sweet potato, apple, whole wheat flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mix in flax egg.
- Heat a large, well-greased pan over low-medium heat.
- Drop small balls of mixture onto the pan and flatten with a spatula/spoon.
- Cook until a deep brown color is reached (~4-5 minutes). Flip and cook on the other side for another ~3 minutes.