For me, running is the most rewarding form exercise. Many of you have been asking if I’ve always been a runner and the answer is “NO!” I actually did not start running until about two years ago, and I would still not consider myself a great runner. I began running as a form of exercise and didn’t think of it as anything else but that. The more I practiced, the better I got and the more I enjoyed it. However I know from experience that for the novice and beginner runners, lacing up those running shoes and hitting the pavement (and even treadmill) could be very scary so here are some quick motivation tips for those beginner runners!
10 Motivational Tips for Beginner Runners:
- Sign up for a race as soon as possible (a 5k/3.1mi race is a perfect start).
- Find a committed running partner that can encourage and motivate you on the days you need an extra push.
- It gets easier.
- Accept the fact that not every single run can be a good one and don’t except that ever run will be better than your last.
- Do not compare yourself to others. Run for and compete against yourself first.
- Don’t think too much about it (form, distance, exhaustion) or you won’t do it. Don’t wait to feel like you’re “in the mood,” but rather just put on your sneakers and GO!
- If you’re used to running with tunes, try skipping the music one day and listen to your feet, breath, and heart rate.
- Do bit be discouraged if you don’t lose weight immediately. Remember, running is not an excuse to eat three servings of dessert after dinner because no amount of exercise can out beat a bad diet!
- Start running log and record your progress
- LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! If you wake up feeling ill, unbearably sore, etc., take a day or two off to rest and recover.
Overnight Banana Almond Pudding
- 1 tbsp raw almond butter
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (sweetened or unsweetened will work)
- 1 tbsp shelled flax seed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Combine all remaining ingredients and stir until well-incorporated (make sure the banana is well mashed and mixed).
- Store in a plastic tupperware or container and fridge overnight.
- Enjoy right from the fridge (heat in the microwave for 45 seconds to enjoy warm or enjoy it as is)!