I SO EXCITED! Can you guess why? GLEE Finale tonight..Is anyone else obsessed? Man, the writers of Glee are absolutely brilliant. Just about two years old, Glee has officially become the most socially conscious television shows ever to air. The drama, focused on a high school Glee club, somehow still manages to capture audiences of all ages without being labeled as a “guilt pleasure.” If you haven’t watched Glee, I highly recommend heading over to Hulu and watch free (and legal) full episodes and I guarantee if not immediately hooked, you will at the very least, enjoy the talented cast.
Heres one of my favorite Glee moments:
Ok, now for dinner..
This is a vegetarian chili is seriously to die for and I promise you, even those meat-lovers won’t be able to get enough of it. Packed with veggies and THREE kinds of beans, the flavors of the chili is like no other. Chili is typically for those chilly winter days, and its quite hot in Los Angeles today, but when I was contemplating on what to make for dinner tonight, I figured that I might as well make use of the hundreds (not really hundreds, but A LOT) of canned beans and tomatoes I had stocked in my pantry. Chili is a perfect dish to make if your produce have been sitting in the your fridge, about to go bad.
Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 bell peppers of any color (chopped)
- 1 sweet onion (chopped)
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- ~3/4 cup cremini mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 3 cans of beans; chose from the following (black beans, white kidney beans, red kidney beans, pinto beans)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (the “it” factor, read below for reason why)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 avocado to top (peel and sliced)
- Dollop of plain yogurt to top (if added, then no longer vegan)
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add onions, garlic, peppers, carrot, mushrooms and sauté for ~5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT avocado and plain yogurt, cover and cook for ~35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Top with avocado slices and plain a dollop of plain yogurt.