Good morning. I have a feeling that today is going to be a great day. I’ve already made several smart choices and its only 7am!
- Ran to the gym instead of driving
- Productive morning workout (sometimes I find myself being lazy at the gym)
- Replaced my morning coffee for a (large) cup of hot green tea
- Quinoa for breakfast!
Now lets talk breakfast. Named as one of the healthiest foods you can find on earth, quinoa’s nutritional benefits are endless. Extremely rich in protein and with fewer carbohydrates than normal cereals, it only makes sense that quinoa would make for a power breakfast. I have always loved using quinoa when cooking savoury dishes but I have never thought to use it as a breakfast staple. This quinoa breakfast porridge definitely gives my oatmeal breakfasts a run for its money!
Quinoa Breakfast Porridge
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup blueberries for garnish (preferably fresh)
- 1 tbsp pecans for garnish (toasted and coarsely chopped)
- Bring the quinoa, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup to a boil in a saucepan
- Reduce the heat and simmer until tender (~15-18 minutes)
- Remove front heat. Top with blueberries and pecans.