Good morning everyone! It is Sunday and again, the weather is looking beautiful. Unsurprisingly, I jumped out of bed this morning at 7am, ready to get the day started. I was hoping that since I stayed up later than usual last night, baking and watching King’s Speech, I would be able to sleep in till at least 8am, but who was I kidding? I was planning on going on a quick run before breakfast but once heard my tummy rumble (loudly), I knew I had to feed it! Typically, on the weekdays, I wake up and get my butt to the gym by 5am and on these days, I don’t feel the need to eat before my workout. Thus, when I get home from my morning workout routine (around 7 am), I am starving! Because it is better to eat and drink immediately after a prolonged or high-intensity workout, this protein-PACKED smoothie fits the bill.
Today, I will be introducing my version of the Green Monster. The term “Green Monster” refers to any smoothie/drink that contains green vegetables, but for those of you who don’t prefer the greens, this version of the Green Monster will have you thinking twice! I have experimented with many Green Monster recipes and I have several more versions of the Green Monster I will be showing you shortly! Packed with bananas, spinach, oatmeal, chia, and greek yogurt, this is what I call a “power breakfast!”
I chop up my bananas into small pieces and place them in a plastic zip block bag and freeze them. If you forget to freeze your bananas, you may use ripe bananas, however the texture and consistency of the smoothie will be significantly different.
As you can see, my topping obsession didn’t stop me from even topping my smoothies! Note that you can always experiment with adjusting the measurements I give below and adjust them to your personal liking.
I like to enjoy my smoothies with a bowl and spoon when I add xanthum gum because being a thickener, the gum gives the green monster a soft-freeze-like texture. You can of course drink it out of a normal cup, but I find that the serving size is too large to fit into a coffee cup.
Classic Green Monster
- 1 cup almond milk (or soy milk)
- 1 frozen banana (cut into pieces)
- 2 handfuls organic spinach
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (1 tbsp ground flax)
- 1 tbsp nut butter (I used unsalted crunchy almond butter)
- 2 tpsp plain 0%fat greek yogurt (or any other yogurt can work too)
- 1/4 cup uncooked oats (you can use old-fashioned, rolled, steel cut, etc.)
- 5-6t Ice cubes
- First add the milk, chia seeds (or ground flax seeds), and nut butter in the blender and whirl away
- Throw in the spinach and blend until all chunks are gone
- Add the frozen banana pieces and uncooked oats and blend
- Add greek yogurt and blend
- Add 5-6 pieces of ice